The Company and its subsidiaries are committed to the protection of life, health and the environment for present and future generations. The Company has adopted the Guiding Principles towards sustainable mining activities as promulgated by the Mining Association of Canada.
The Company believes believe that its opportunities to contribute to and thrive in the economies in which it operates must be earned through a demonstated commitment to sustainable development. Accordingly, its actions must demonstrate a responsible approach to social, economic and environmental performance that is aligned with the evolving priorities of its communities of interest. Its actions must reflect a broad spectrum of values that it shares with its employees and communities of interest, including honesty, transparency and integrity.
The Company will demonstrate leadership by:
- Involving communities of interest in the design and implementation of a sustainable mining initative
- Proactively seeking, engaging and supporting dialogue regarding its operations
- Conducting all facets of business with excellence, transparency and accountability
- Protecting the health and safety of our employees, contractors and communities
- Seeking to minimize the impact of our operations on the environment and biodiversity, through all stages of development
- Working with our communities of interest to address legacy issues
- Practicing continuous improvement through the application of new technology, innovation and best practices in all facets of our operations.
All employees are responsible for incorporating into their planning and work the actions necessary to fulfill this commitment.
To meet its responsibilities, Xtierra and its subsidiaries will provide its employees with the necessary resources to:
- Design, construct, operate and close our facilities to comply with applicable local regulations and laws and to meet international guidelines.
- Promote employee commitment and accountability to this policy and enhance their capabilities in its implementation through the use of integrated management systems.
- Promote the development and implementation of effective, realistic systems to minimize risks to health, safety and the environment.
- Be proactive in community development programs so that the communities are not necessarily reliant on the projects for their future.
- Communicate openly with employees, local stakeholders and governments on our plans, programs and performance.
- Work cooperatively with government agencies, local communities, educational institutions and suppliers to achieve safe handling, use and disposal of all materials, resources and products.
- Use the best technologies to continuously improve the safe, efficient use of resources, processes and materials.